PENTAGON SAILING CLUB, INC.
POLICY RESOLUTION 01-2008
WEAR AND USE OF PERSONAL FLOTATION DEVICES ON THE RIVER
WHEREAS, Paragraph 7 of the PSC Bylaws states, “Legislative and executive control of the Club, and custody of its funds and property, shall be the responsibility of a board of directors comprised of elected officers, collectively designated as the Bridge. The Bridge shall operate by simple majority as the policy and legislative body of the Club, with duties and responsibilities as defined in this paragraph and in paragraph 8.
WHEREAS, Paragraph 7a of the PSC Bylaws states, “The Bridge shall establish and publish policies and procedures for all programs and activities of the Club.”
NOW THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT the “Wear & Use of Personal Floatation Device (PFD)” Policy while operating PSC boats on the River is adopted and has the following terms of reference:
This policy applies only to
PSCowned and or leased river boats. There is a separate
PSCPFD Policy for Bay Operations.
- Club members are strongly encouraged to wear U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) approved Personal Flotation Devices (PFD) any time they are conducting boating activities.
All club members and guests must wear a USCG approved PFD during the Club’s Basic Keelboat Training course any time they are on the dock or aboard a
PSCbasic keelboat training boat.
- During non-training, recreational sails, all club members and guests must wear a PFD anytime the sustained wind speed is over 15 knots, and/or the water temperature is below 65 degrees F; or if directed to do so by the Skipper or by an Officer of the Club, regardless of weather or water conditions.
- During racing, all bow/foredeck crew members must wear a PFD at all times, and other crew members are strongly encouraged to wear a PFD.
- PFDs must be worn by all during times of reduced visibility, e.g. fog or dusk/night conditions.
- Children will wear PFDs at all times while on boats IAW USCG, VA, DC and MD State Laws. This applies specifically to children under 13.
THIS POLICY RESOLUTION WAS ADOPTED BY A MAJORITY VOTE OF 2007/2008 PSC BRIDGE ON 3 September 2008.
Signed: Rich Kowalczyk- Secretary
THE VOTES CAST WERE: