Menu

• Home
  • Boat Profiles

Boat Profiles

• 22 Jan 2019 10:29 AM
    Message # 7015122
    Deleted user

Ahoy,

One of my goals for 2019 is to engage boat owners in the club and see about putting together 'boat profiles' which will be posted on the PSC website.  Please contact me, if you are an active club member and would like to put together a boat profile.  Part of the boat profile project is to give boat owners a chance to network with other boat owners, share project tips or advise and to use the forum for crew calls.  

To kick this project off, I will be doing a profile on our Catalina '36 and hope to have that posted soon in the PSC Members Section.

Fair Winds,

Rob O

• 01 Aug 2019 7:46 PM
    Reply # 7808343 on 7015122

Following Rob's lead...here is my boat:

HALCYON  is a 1983 Morgan 45-4 designed by Nelson-Marek of Whitbread and America’s Cup fame.  Morgan basically took a Nelson-Marek design that won the Transpac race and put a cruising interior into the hull.  They reused to orginal hull forms for almost 30 years in a variety of boats, including the Morgan 43, the Catalina-Morgan 43 Center Cockpit and Catalina 42.  From pure ocean greyhound to a super-popular big cruiser is quite a run.

She has a 32 horsepower Universal diesel engine, which is very small for such a big boat, but she was intended to be on the "racer" end of racer-cruiser.  She sails much fast than she motors, but the Kubota block is reliable and easy to maintain.

She has a roller-furling headsail, fully battened mainsail and a large battery of other sails.  She is a large boat with large racing-style sails and an IOR hull design.  She will move quickly, heel steadily and point close to the wind, but she will tend to be bit rolly when running downwind without a spinnaker.

Draft is variable with a long centerboard.  With the board up, draft is 4 feet 9 inches.  Full depth with the board down 7 feet 5 inches, but the extra wetted surface tends to slow her down a bit.

Mast height is 61 feet of very bendy aluminum, which in theory would make it fit under most of the the bridges in the ICW.  With a working sail area is 902 square feet, I'd rather go around than motor down the ditch.

HALCYON displaces 22,500 pounds, about 44% is in ballast.  While heavy compared to modern boats, it still fairly light for it’s length and sail area.  SA/D is 18.8, D/WL is 202, making her statistics firmly in the “racer” range.     She has fuel tankage for 100 gallons and water tanks for 200 gallons, all part of the ocean racing heritage.

The interior is beautiful, with a combination of teak, holly and ash, but a bit dark by modern boat standards  The only place where fiberglass is visible is in the heads. The galley is port side against the bulkhead, which was a sea-going design so that you could heave-to on a starboard tack while cooking and the hot liquids would be on the low side and not at risk of spilling on the  cook.  There is a huge v-berth cabin, a large double cabin under the cockpit and two pilot berths for watchstanders in the salon.  There is also two full length settees, one of which can expand to a double.

She sails fast on all points of sail, easily out-pacing most cruising boats.  She can keep up with modern mono-hull racers upwind, but she is not a planing design and the modern racers will leave her behind downwind.  

There is a large bridge deck forward of the cockpit before getting to the companionway, you have to cross the traveler to go below.  This was considered a plus for ocean sailing when designed, but is inconvenient and a bit dangerous compared to modern companionways.  The companionway ladder is also very steep, which permits great headroom and easy access to the engine, but is not as safe or convenient as a smaller ladder.

She has a large rigid vang which also acts as a support for the boom, this eliminates the need for a topping lift.

Her anchor windlass is manually operated by cranking with a large handle which is located in the anchor locker, it is difficult and ripe for an upgrade.

The boat has rod rigging instead of conventional wire.  It's lighter, stronger and less maintenance than wire, but is more expensive and harder to replace.

All in all, it's a good sailing blue water and coastal cruising boat.

3 files
    Last modified: 24 Jan 2021 4:26 PM | Anonymous member
  • 10 Jan 2021 5:12 PM
    Reply # 9832527 on 7015122

RANGER is a Ted Hood designed Bristol 38.8 that rolled off the line in 1984 from Bristol, Rhode Island.  I was looking for a blue-water cruiser that would also ply through light to heavy wind and weather conditions in the Chesapeake.  In view of that her displacement is 19,150 lbs with 9,000 lbs of ballast making her stable in some fairly active conditions.  RANGER’s draft is either 4.5’ or 10.3’ depending on position of the swing keel.   

RANGER wonders what in the world I’m doing underway when winds are below 9 knots, but she's a proud vessel when wind and weather rise higher.  I have had her in winds up to 38 knots and she absolutely loves it. 

RANGER has a Universal/Westerbeke M50/5444 engine, a 44-hp diesel with a Kubota block.  The block was built for a tractor and like the hull is as stout as heavy-duty farm equipment. 

She has lots of wood to include the signature teak toe-rail and dorade boxes above deck, making varnish a big part of my life.

My first purchase for RANGER was a new blue-water mainsail made by Port Townsend Sails in Washington State.  At the same time I installed a frictionless Force Track on the mast—one of the best procurement decisions ever.  She has a 130 percent roller furling headsail.

She's been great fun.

Sak 

• 24 Jan 2021 8:56 AM
    Reply # 10002248 on 7015122

Me being me...I have other sailboats besides my big one.  Here is something completely different.

This is a Hobie 20, sometimes called a "Miracle 20".  Hobie took the basic design of the Tornado (which was the Olympic, high-performance boat for 25 years) and made a production version of it starting in the early '90s and running through the mid '00s.

This is a VERY fast boat.  It has wave-piercing bows, planing hull forms.  It's SA/D is 73.77, which is frankly crazy.  Just for comparison, a Catalina Capri 22 has 223 square feet of sail and weighs 2,150 pounds, the Hobie 20 has 250 square feet of sail (without spinnaker, which it also has) and weighs 400 pounds.  

Making this beast even crazier, it has a rotating mast, fully-battened flat-top main sail and an astounding variety of sail controls (barber-haulers, cunningham, vang, adjustable battens, etc.).  The sail plan is so efficient, the boat can literally sail faster than the wind speed due to the lift created around the sails.  There are lot's of recordings on Youtube of these boats exceeding 25 knots GPS speed.

The Hobie 20 has dagger boards, which at speed will prevent leeway and enable the boat to point higher than a monohull and tack quickly.  It also has a double trapeze which is used by the skipper and crew to get their weight far to the windward to balance the boat as she sails.

This is an exciting boat to sail, but it is not for the inexperienced.  It accelerates like a rocket, which can surprise people.  It quickly flies a hull, so the crew and skipper need to manage sail trim and weight distribution constantly to prevent capsize.  It's absurdly fast, so you have to pay attention to other traffic, as you will be overtaking everything except planing motor boats and kite-surfers.  It is also and extremely wet boat, you will get soaked by spray even if you don't capsize her.

1 file
© Pentagon Sailing Club