Menu

• Home
  • Celestial Navigation

Celestial Navigation

• 01 Feb 2019 9:49 AM
    Message # 7141066
    Anonymous member (Administrator)

Never mind, I see now that the date has moved to 24 March.

Was there just not enough interest for the 10 Feb Celestial Nav. class? 

I got books for Christmas but was hoping to take a class from experienced navigators to get an idea of what tools and how nice a sextant I would need. 

If there is not enough interest in PSC, can anyone advise on classes around DC or Annapolis that were worth while.

Last modified: 01 Feb 2019 3:49 PM | Anonymous member (Administrator)
  • 02 Feb 2019 6:17 AM
    Reply # 7142319 on 7141066

John,

We do have several members who are ASA celestial instructors and/or have a lot of experience with celestial navigation.  The course we are offering this year is a basic introduction to celestial navigation.  If there is a enough interest, we could offer more advanced courses in either emergency navigation or precision celestial navigation.  We have the capability to do both in a class room setting.  Practical application of celestial takes time on the water.

There are three commercially available celestial courses in the area:

One is the Maryland School of Sailing.  It is available as either an online course or a home correspondence course.  Both are taught by Tom Tursi, who literally wrote the book on celestial navigation for ASA.

The other is with the Annapolis School of Seamanship, which is a school for commercial mariners.  It is an introduction,  similar to the course we are offering this year in both length and detail.  I don't know anyone who has taken this course, but the school has a great reputation for diesel engine and electrical systems classes.

JWorld also offers a class, but I don't know anything more about it.  JWorld does have a good reputation for racing instruction.

• 02 Feb 2019 8:59 PM
    Reply # 7143224 on 7141066

There are some good DIY references that provide a good start on the topic.  One is a Vanderbilt online course at https://my.vanderbilt.edu/astronav/overview/.  

Another is Self-Taught Navigation:  Ten Easy Steps to Master Celestial Navigation by Robert Kittredge.  Finally, Dutton's Nautical Navigation has a a couple chapter on celestial.  

None are as good as having an instructor lead one through the process, but absent a course and good instructor, these provide a good and inexpensive start to the process. 

© Pentagon Sailing Club